The Italian Trade Commission is pleased to announce a “shop and dine” promotional campaign which began on June 10, 2009 to educate the public about the undiscovered foods and wines from the region of Calabria, Italy. Guests will discover how Calabria’s rustic foods and legendary wines are as rich and interesting as the region’s history. Calabrians have always made good use of their abundant natural resources. A wide range of rustic dishes are based on the bounty from both the land and sea, including vegetable soups, fish and pasta dishes, spicy sausages, and local cheeses.
Restaurants and wine bars have created special by-the-glass flights and pairing menus giving patrons an opportunity to explore new dishes and in turn discover Calabria.
Wine shops and gourmet stores have also planned tasting events and in-store promotions which will create a memorable and engaging experience highlighting the foods and wines of the region.
Aniello Musella, Italian Trade Commissioner and Executive Director for the USA, remarked that “our goal is to introduce the authentic tastes of this remarkable region to the American market. I am confident that both the trade and consumers will gain a deep appreciation for these products and their producers who continue to honor age old traditions while successfully employing state-of-the-art technology.”
The region of Calabria also boasts a variety of unique wines, with a large portion made from the indigenous Gaglioppo grape. The most recognized wine from the region is Cirò, which according to local legend is the oldest continuously made wine in the world and dates back over 2,500 years.
As small as the region is, Calabria currently devotes nearly 60,000 acres to vineyards and produces 12 DOC wines (“Denominazione di Origine Controllata,” DOC is the highest classification and ensures quality on many levels), and 13 IGT wines (“Indicazione Geografica Tipica”), 91% of which are red or rosé. Calabria also produces exquisitely delicate whites, as well as a few sparkling, dessert, and fortified wines.
2005 VINTAGES INCLUDE:
- Librandi Cirò Rosso Riserva DOC “Duca San Felice”
- Ippolito 1845 Cirò Rosso Classico Superiore Riserva DOC “Colli del Mancuso”
- Terre di Balbia Calabria IGT “SerraMonte”
- Fattoria San Francesco Cirò Rosso Classico DOC “Ronco dei Quattro Venti”
- Val di Neto Melissa Rosso Superiore DOC “Mutrò”
- Tenuta Iuzzolini Cirò Rosso Classico Superiore Riserva DOC “Maradea”
- Odoardi Scavigna DOC “Vigna Garrone”
And one Statti Calabria IGT “Gaglioppo Rosso” from 2008.
Shop & Dine. Discovering Calabria 2009. Restaurants, Wine Shops, and Gourmet Stores
- Agata & Valentina 1505 First Avenue (212-452-0690)
- Cosmo & Alex Pisano Bros 252 Mamoraneck Avenue Mamaroneck, NY (914-381-4402)
- D. Coluccio & Sons 1214-20-60th Street Brooklyn, NY (718-436-6700)
- Di Palo Fine Foods 200 Grand Street (212-226-1033)
- Guido Deli 300 Meachman Avenue Elmont, NY (516-488-5600)
- Iavarone Bros. of Wantagh 1166 Wantagh Ave Wantagh (516-781-6400)
- Strawberry Farms - Whitestone Supermarkets 24-11 150th Street Whitestone (718-939-7575)
- Todaro Brothers 555 Second Avenue (212-532-0633)
- Uncle Giuseppe's 95 Route 111 Smithtown, NY (631-863-0900)